CASS Hockey Successful at Tournament

CASS Hockey Successful at Tournament

The CASS Hockey team travelled to Sudbury from November 14th-16th to compete in the Cardinal Classic Hockey Tournament.  

First up, they faced the defending NOSSA 'AAA' champions, L'Horizon Eagles from Sudbury.  The Huskies got on the board right away, with Austin Mortimore scoring 37 seconds into the game on an unassisted goal.  Huskies' Mack Ableson added an insurance goal on the powerplay on an unassisted rush, with 3 minutes and 40 seconds left in the second period, to make the score 2-0.  Goaltender Tyler Greco shut the Eagles down, to finish the game with a 2-0 shutout.

Next up, in the evening on November 14th, the Huskies lined up against the Lasalle Lancers, also from Sudbury.  After a scoreless first period, the team broke open the flood gates in the second period, with 6 goals, and added 3 more in the third.  The final score was 9-1, with Noah Aelick getting the win in net.  Offensively, Mason Mortimore led the way with a hat trick, Spencer Osborne and Ableson added two goals each, with Brayden Aubertin and Michael Shaw rounding out the scoring.   

In the morning of November 15, the Huskies squared off against perennial Sudbury powerhouse, the St. Charles Cardinals.  With a lacklustre effort and numerous penalties, the Huskies were set back 8-2 against the Cardinals.  They dug themselves into a hole early that they simply could not get out of.  M. Mortimore and Joel Lamoureux provided the scoring in the defeat.

Looking to bounce back from their morning loss and secure a spot in the semi-finals with a win, the Huskies took on the Widdifield Wildcats from North Bay in the afternoon of November 15.  Widdifield got on the board first with a goal 4 minutes left in the first period.  CASS would tie it up early in the second period on a goal by M. Mortimore, assisted by Trent Smith and A. Mortimore.  Lamoureux staked the lead, only 2 minutes later, before the Wildcats tied it up at the end of the second period.  Three minutes into the third period, Ableson scored on the powerplay to regain the lead, but the Wildcats would respond right away on the next shift to tie it up again.  With 3 and a half minutes left in the game A. Mortimore found the back of the net to score the game winner.  Smith would add an empty net insurance goal with thirty seconds left, for a final score of 5-3.   

The Huskies finished in a 4 way tie for 1st place with each team finishing with a 3-1 record, in the 13 team draw.  Due to goals for and against differential, CASS finished 4th, setting up a semi-final rematch against top seed L'Horizon.  It was a scoreless battle, back and forth, until L'Horizon broke the tie with 4 minutes left in the second period.  L'horizon came out hard after the second intermission and scored a pair of goals in the first 2 minutes to jump to a 3-0 lead, which the Huskies could not recover from.  The final score was 4-1, with Shaw scoring the lone goal.

The Huskies are back in tournament action from Dec 5-7 in North Bay. 

Submitted by Nigel Good-Athletic Director CASS